The 5 second rule by Mel Robbins is one of the most useful (and powerful) techniques that I’ve learnt and I do believe that it can be useful for the rest of your life.
The Power of the 5 Second Rule
What’s the 5 second rule?
If you have an impulse to act on a goal, you must physically move within 5 seconds or your brain will kill the idea.”
What will the 5 Second Rule rule do for you?
- Stop inertia — get you moving in the right direction
- Help you overcome your inner critic
- Help you break bad habits
- Help you reach your goals sooner
- Stop procrastination in its tracks.
So, let’s say you want to improve your fitness level.
Rather than hitting the snooze button at 6 am — you count down 5, 4, 3, 2 and on 1 you MOVE … out of bed, into your gym clothes and towards your goal.
Anytime that you hear your inner critic say things like:
- Just stay in bed — it’s cold — you can go tomorrow…
- If you raise your hand you’ll be rejected
- Stay for one more drink, [PARTNER’S NAME] won’t mind.
Instead of obeying that voice — count 5, 4, 3, 2, 1 and:
- Get up and exercise DESPITE how you feel
- Raise your hand and share your idea with team DESPITE how you feel
- Go home and spend some quality time with your partner DESPITE how you feel
Because deep down inside this is what you REALLY want — you want to be the best version of yourself. The version that’s evolving and improving. Not the one that’s stuck (or worse… going backwards).
If you’re willing to pay the price, you can have absolutely anything you want.
Benjamin P. Hardy
The question is — are you willing to pay the price?
I say — PAY IT!
Pay it today, pay it tomorrow.
Move away from superficial, feeling-based actions made to satisfy your ego.
Make a deposit into your willpower bank account instead.
I guarantee that you will feel like a superhero in no time!
Ps. Sick of screwing yourself over?
Do yourself a favour, grab a cup of coffee and watch this fantastic TED Talk by Mel Robbins — you won’t regret it.
Also published on Medium.